Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Our conservatives are smarter than yours

It was with great nationalistic pride I discovered that Australia’s most simplistic and misguided commentator on climate change, the Screechin’ Weasel, doesn’t hold a candle on his US counterpart, Melanie Morgan, when it comes to out-and-out wrongness.

Melanie succinctly articulates the Conservative take on the vast amount of science underpinning the theory of anthropogenic global warming.
Far-left political ideologies are being promulgated through ever-increasing mediums, and recently I noticed that a once-vaunted American television network, The Weather Channel, had succumbed to the cancerous spread of liberalism.

The global warming crowd, led by arrogant hustlers such as Heidi Cullen at The Weather Channel, has set up a no-lose situation for themselves.
Until I read Mel’s tome, I was unaware that Heidi Cullen of the Weather Channel was a leader in the field of climatology. And that the weather had cancer, or was liberal, or something along those lines.

There you go.
Climatology is by definition the study of long-term climate trends.
I thought it was the study of climate; past present and future. Again I appear to be mistaken.
...and it will indeed be many decades or longer before any definitive conclusions about even the existence of global warming – let alone its causes – can be determined to be true or false.
I detect something wrong there. Oh, that’s it.....we already have multiple pieces of evidence that constitute definitive proof of warming.

Could it be that Mel is actually making this stuff up? I’m on to her game.

Here’s my favourite, though. I’m assuming that if wing-nuts actually repeat the following statement enough times, Ronald Reagan will return from the dead and re-take the US presidency. Why else would you write something that a not-particularly bright child could spot the inconsistencies in? Not to try and convince someone you argument is actually correct, surely?
If forecasters can't reliably tell us what will happen in two to three months from now, why would anyone trust that they know what will happen with the weather in 50 or 100 years from now.
Well, Mel, you can hold me to this one, ‘cause I’m going into the prediction business, and to show how good I am, I’m going to predict regional climate with 100% accuracy, three months from now.

In the month of April, it will be colder on average in Australia than it is for the current month of January.

Pretty good, hey? Confidant, I am.

Sadly, not so good for Mel, whose article again demonstrates that the Right is very rarely is right about anything.